3 tbsp golden syrup
¾ cup caster sugar
2 cups (300g) plain flour
1 cup (150g) self-raising flour
1 level tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 level tsp ground cinnamon
1 level tsp ground ginger
½ tsp ground cloves
1whole egg plus 1 egg yolk
1 tsp vanilla essence
- Preheat oven to 190°C (170°C). Lightly grease 2 to 3 baking trays and line with baking paper.
- In a saucepan heat to dissolve butter syrup and sugar then cool to lukewarm.
- Shift flour,baking soda, spices into a mixing bowl. Mix thoroughly and make a well in the centre. Add whole egg, egg yolk, vanilla and syrup mixture. Mix thoroughly, then take about 1/3 of the mixture at a time and knead lightly (preferably while still warm) using a little flour. Dust a flat surface with a little flour then roll out a firmly using a floured rolling pin. Cut out with fancy cutters.
- Arrange gingerbread shapes on trays. Leaving space between for spreading.
- Bake for 10 to 12min. Cooking time may vary depending on your oven and the thickness of biscuits. When cool, place in an airtight container.