|( I didn't have french bread so I just used some left over tiger bread and regular bread slices.It doesn't have to be french bread, whatever you prefer!)|
French Onion Soup (Source : "The Little Book Of Soups")
(This soup tastes best the day before it is needed and then reheated as required.)
Prep: 10 mins
Cooking: 45 mins
3 medium onions
60g/2oz butter or margarine
30g/1oz plain flour
1 Litre /1 ¾ pints boiling real vegetable stock or water plus 2 stock cubes
Salt and Pepper
4 slices French bread, cut crosswise
60 g/2 oz Cheddar cheese,grated
30 g/1 oz Parmesan cheese,grated
- Slice onion very finely into rings.
- Melt the butter in a pan, add the onion rings and sautée over a medium heat until well browned.
- Mix in the flour and stir well until browned
- Add the stock and the seasoning and simmer for 30 minutes
- Toast the bread on both sides
- Combine both types of cheese and divide between the bread slices. Place under a preheated medium grill, and toast until golden brown.
- Place the slices of bread and cheese in the bottom of individual soup dishes and spoon the soup over the top. Serve at once.